Experience the majesty of Everest, the world’s highest peak, on an active 17-day Nepal trekking adventure to Everest Base Camp (17,598 ft) in April 2019.
Ease into your challenging journey to Everest Basecamp with visits to several of Kathmandu’s most impressive shrines, including the festive Swyambunath, or “Monkey Temple,” the stately gold-topped dome of the Boudhanath shrine, and the multi-level Pashupathi Nath temple, Hinduism’s most popular pilgrimage site. Get to know your fellow adventurous travelers and marvel at the panoramic views of the Himalayas together on your flight to Lukla, where you’ll meet up with the Sherpa mountain staff (and the shaggy yaks who will be carrying your gear!). Marvel at the milky-white waters of the River Dudhkoshi on your first day of trekking.
From there, you’ll pass through picturesque Tibetan villages on foot, traversing mountain passes on narrow suspension bridges as you make your way into the foothills around Everest. An acclimatization day in Namche is a great chance to connect with the women making this journey with you as you prepare your bodies for your trek. A visit to Everest View Hotel (the name says it all) is perfect inspiration to get started!
The next day, you’ll ascend through lush forests on your way to the Tengboche Monastery, high in the foothills of Everest. Keep your eyes open for the mani stones lining the path, carved with the Avalokiteshvara mantra of Tibetan Buddhists. At the monastery you’ll get a fascinating glimpse into the lives of Tibetan Buddhist monks, as well as jaw-dropping views of all the highest peaks of the Himalayas. You’ll have time to acclimatize to the altitude before picking your way across the frozen glacial river, Thukla, and up to Everest Base Camp. A visit to the black-rock slopes of the Kala Patthar will offer breathtaking views of Everest’s summit. Make sure to snap some photos with your new friends!
Catch one last glimpse of the jagged peaks of the Himalayas on your flight back to Kathmandu, where you’ll have time to explore Thamel, Kathmandu’s vibrant local market.
From start to finish, this April 2019 Nepal trekking journey to the foot of nature’s most spectacular creation, Mount Everest, will be unforgettable!
- Day-by-day Itinerary: Nepal Trekking to Everest Base Camp
- What’s Included on your Trekking Trip to Everest
- Your Accommodations While in Nepal
- What to Pack & Bring to Trek to Everest Base Camp
- Traveling to Kathmandu, Nepal
- Detailed Itinerary for your Everest Base Camp Women’s Trip
In 2017, our guest Brenda put together this fun video about what it’s like to walk through the streets of Kathmandu. Enjoy!
- Explore the shrines and vibrant markets of Kathmandu
- Take in panoramic views on your scenic flight to Lukla
- Traverse mountain passes on narrow suspension bridges in the foothills around Everest
- Hike to the Tengboche Monastery to meet the Tibetan Buddhist monks
- Celebrate all of your hard work when you arrive at Everest Base Camp
What You'll See and Do
- Cultural Exploration
- Local Delicacies
- Natural History
- UNESCO Site