The adventure-mecca of New Zealand (NZ) is home to some of the most dramatic, astounding and magnificent scenery anywhere on earth. On our "New Zealand: From An Insider's Perspective" adventure tour in February 2018, you'll enjoy spectacular views accompanied by excellent food and delicious New Zealand wines in company of the uniquely friendly and hearty locals - known as Kiwis.
Here are 10 fun facts and a little trivia about New Zealand:
2. In 1893, New Zealand became the first country to give women the right to vote.
3. Only 5% of NZ's population is human, the rest are animals.
4. New Zealand has three official languages: English, Māori and New Zealand Sign Language.
5. The Māori name for NZ, "Aoetaroa", means 'land of the long white cloud'.
6. In 2013, NZ legalised same-sex marriage.
7. About one third of the country is protected national park.
8. New Zealand is the only country in the world where all the highest positions have been simultaneously held by women. In 2006, the Queen, the Governor-General, the PM, the Speaker of the House of Representatives and the Chief Justice were all women.
9. The only land mammals native to NZ are bats. The rest were introduced by Maoris and Europeans.
10. A "Kiwi" is a reference for: the people of New Zealand, the national flightless bird, and a fruit!