June 2017 is the perfect time for a walking tour in the green hills of Ireland. Walking (or "turas siúlóide" in Gaelic) is a time-honored passion in Ireland! This Irish women's tour is the perfect way to experience the mercurial moors, relish the beauty of the mountains and explore the rocky coastal headlands of the lovely Misty Isle.
County Kerry showcases the Emerald Isle at its most enchanting and mythical best, with scenery as varied as it is beautiful. The Irish hiking trails take you from bogs and ancient woodlands to stunning coastal landscapes. You'll dodge sheep and ponies crossing your path, catch glimpses of the rare red deer, and explore Ireland's Franciscan abbeys and druid stone circles.
The spectacular Irish landscapes that we'll hike through are in the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Killarney National Park, in County Kerry. Home to rugged mountainous country and the highest mountain range in Ireland (Macgillycuddy's Reeks Range at 3,600 feet), the world famous lakes of Killarney nestle at the foot of these verdant mountains. Where the mountains sweep down to the lake shores, their lower slopes are covered in woodlands, and this distinctive combination of mountains, lakes, woods and waterfalls in Ireland under her ever changing skies gives the area a special scenic beauty.
You'll stay in picturesque villages and enjoy "a pint" in the local pub, while listening to traditional Irish music. But the best part of any trip to Ireland is meeting the friendly, unhurried Irish people who show a deep respect for nature - a respect that comes from working the land for generations - and who welcome foreign travelers like us as visitors, not tourists.
If you enjoy scenic hiking, excellent, historic accommodations and delicious cuisine, spectacular scenery, rare flora and fauna, entertaining Irish pubs and music, and the warmth and hospitality that only the Irish exude, then this is the Irish hiking trip for you!
- Hike on the breathtaking and rugged Dingle Peninsula, an ancient landscape of archeological wonders.
- Walk along wild coastlines and sandy beaches of Killarney National Park, and breathe in the scents of wildflowers, heather and the fresh ocean air.
- Explore the archaeological and historic sites of the Iveragh Peninsula through the world-renowned Ring of Kerry.
- Hike Skellig Michael (optional excursion), where the last scene of the new Star Wars movie was filmed!
- Sample traditional Irish music and a pint of Guinness at the pubs.
- Experience warm Irish hospitality at comfortable, hand-picked country hotels, B&B’s and guesthouses.
What You'll See and Do
- Boat Cruising
- Cultural Exploration
- Historical Sites
- National Parks