Our October 2016 “Walking and Wine” adventure vacation in France celebrates the tastes, sights and sounds of Fall in Provence as we hike through the pastoral French countryside, enjoying the wine and cuisine, villages and charm of Southern France.
Roll the word “Provence” around your tongue and feel the warmth of Southern France – the heat of her sun, the delicious taste of her dry rose wines, and the aromas of her pungent herbs. Like gliding through a French impressionist painting, you’ll be immersed in the light and life of this land. On this walking tour in Provence, we’ll stroll through exquisitely colorful Fall landscapes and discover sensual Provence along her footpaths, in her villages painted in pastel pinks, blues and greens, and in delicious “déjeuners” enjoyed in local cafes. Our scenic walks will take us through French vineyards and pine forests – along trails which have served for centuries – as we linger for picnics of olives, goat cheese, tomatoes and strawberries.
This walking tour in France begins the moment you fly into Paris and hop on the high speed TGV train and head south to Avignon. Our walking tour will highlight three distinctive landscapes of Provence, starting from Vaison-la-Romaine, an ancient Roman city nestled under Mont Ventoux. Day hikes take us into the Dentelles de Montmirail, a wild and beautiful land of spiky, sun-white limestone, pocketed with vineyards and olive groves. We’ll visit Crestet, with its art institute and mysterious steps carved into the walls of the chateau, and Gigondas, the famous vine village, which rises from a carpet of vineyards to hang from the hillside.
Next we travel to the Luberon Valley and base in Bonnieux, elegantly perched high on a hill of golden limestone. Twisting alleys with boutiques and galleries tumble down from the chateau. A day walk here takes us to the charming village of Roussillon, which derives its name and appearance from the surrounding red ochre quarries.
Our walking tour in France then takes us to the village of Oppede le Vieux where we visit the ruins of a 10th century chateau, and the 12th century Abbey of Senanque, a Cistercian abbey surrounded by lavender fields.
This October 2016 walking vacation in Southern France is an indulgence on every level. We stay in wonderful hotels and dine as the local French do. Leave your senses tingling on this hiking tour in Provence in colorful Fall, deep within the heart of the south of France!
PLEASE NOTE: This trip is for women who are active, in shape, and LOVE to hike! We expect all participants to be in very good hiking condition, and that you have read the description of the Activity Level that you need to be in to take part in this adventure.
- Walking Tour in Southern France: Trip Itinerary
- What’s Included in your trip to France
- Traveling to Paris, France & Avignon
- What to Pack for a walking tour in France
- Trip Details: France Adventure Travel Vacation
- A walking tour in the south of France among the landscapes that inspired van Gogh and the French Impressionists, while tasting world-renowned wines and savoring classic Provencal dishes.
- Experience a Provencal farmer's market, busting with cheeses, pates, produce, flowers and artisan wares.
- Meander up cobblestone paths and alleys to dramatic medieval hilltop villages that date back to the 8th century.
- Explore Gordes, listed as one of the "Plus Beaux Villages de France" ("The Most Beautiful Villages in France").
- Hike to Menerbes, the French village made famous by Peter Mayle in his book "A Year in Provence".
- Stay in two charming French hotels: a beautiful small auberge ensconced in lovely, green and tranquil countryside with views of the sea and facing Mont Ventoux; and a renovated 18th century farmhouse in the Luberon, set amidst lavender fields and herb gardens.
- Enjoy camaraderie and share experiences with other AdventureWomen participants during this delightful, custom-designed walking tour in the South of France.
What You'll See and Do
- Cultural Exploration
- Wine Tasting