Experience some of South America’s most spectacular sights on this scenic, October 2019 trekking tour in Peru along the Salkantay Route all the way to majestic Machu Picchu.
The Salkantay Trail to Machu Picchu is a bit more challenging than the more renown Inca Trail but it the most scenic of all the trails leading to this famous mountaintop citadel. We begin our Machu Picchu trek setting out from Cuzco, where you’ll be quickly immersed in the mysterious world of the Inca. A walk from the circular terraced Moray, an ancient Incan agricultural site, to the salt mines near colonial Maras, is like a journey on foot through Peruvian history.
The impressively preserved Incan ruins of Tarawasi offer a picturesque start to your trek along the lovely Camino Real (or Royal Path). Take in majestic views of Mount Salkantay as you make your way to higher elevations. An acclimatization hike to the stunning turquoise waters of Lake Humantay is a chance to get to know your fellow travelers while preparing your body for the increasing physical demands of the climb ahead. Team up with a friend for a kayak ride around this stunning glacial lake. A challenging day of hiking up the Rio Blanco Valley and the mountain switchbacks leading to Salkantay Pass at over 15,000 feet will test your limits as a hiker. The magical views of the mountains and a dramatic descent through a foggy field studded with giant boulders make this demanding day totally worth it.
Lush vegetation and stunning butterflies accompany you through the otherworldly cloud forest further up the Salkantay Route. Marvel at these natural wonders, then unwind with your group (and soothe muscles sore from the day’s trekking challenges) in an outdoor jacuzzi with incredible panoramic views of the mountains. Coffee lovers will be especially energized by the hike through the coffee cherry orchards of the fertile Santa Teresa River Valley.
Pick your way up original Incan steps towards the spectacular remains of Llactapata and Machu Picchu. Views of the “back” of this world-famous citadel are especially exciting; few travelers ever see this side of the ruins, and the view can serve as the inspiration you need for the final push on your Peru trek! You’ll be amply rewarded for all your efforts once you reach the ancient citadel at Machu Picchu. Explore the empty plazas, stunning chambers, and stone stairways of this architectural marvel, and visit the royal Inca residences of the Watchtower and the Temple of the Sun. Take a lot of photos with your fellow adventurers to celebrate the achievement of reaching this postcard-worthy site by foot! Return to Cuzco and explore its colorful shops and winding streets before heading home.
On this Machu Picchu hiking trip via the Salkantay Route, you’ll walk in the footsteps of an ancient Incan civilization – and push your body to the limit – an unforgettable journey to one of the world’s true wonders!
- Day-to-Day Itinerary: Machu Picchu Hiking Tour for Women
- What’s Included on your Salkantay Route Peru Hiking Trip for Women
- Your Accommodations While Traveling in Peru
- What to Pack for Your Machu Picchu Trekking Tour
- Travel Tips & Information About Traveling to Cuzco, Peru
- Detailed Itinerary: Peru Adventure Travel Tour to Machu Picchu
- Challenge yourself on the Salkantay hiking route in the high Andes Mountains of Peru among peaks that tower into the clouds
- Learn the history of the Incas and the cultural importance of Machu Picchu, the crown jewel of the ancient Incan empire
- Photograph Peruvian mountain landscapes with glistening glaciers and turquoise, glacial lakes
- Relax in luxurious lodges with gourmet meals, hot tubs, and goose-down comforters on every bed
What You'll See and Do
- Cultural Exploration
- Historical Sites
- Local Delicacies
- Natural History
- Spa Element
- Women-To-Women Exchanges