Join us in April 2020 for a cultural journey through Japan at cherry blossom season, enjoying delicious Japanese feasts, exploring ancient traditions, hiking the ancient trails of the Kumano Kodo, relaxing in hot springs and meeting Japanese women – from priests to pearl divers!
Japanese culture, at its core, is centered around beauty as it fosters the pursuit of perfection and spiritual enlightenment. These aesthetic ideals are reflected in virtually all aspects of life in Japan: in its architecture, food, fashion, philosophy, art, and even in the symbol of the cherry blossom and the symmetry of Mount Fuji itself.
Immerse yourself in this rich tableau and discover Japan from the perspective of the women living there. Experience the Japanese lifestyle and enjoy this unique destination at the peak of the spring cherry blossom season. Walk with us through the Japanese countryside, from village to village, along the Kumano Kudo, age-old, sacred trails that countless pilgrims have followed for centuries. Pause to admire ancient temples and shrines and contemplate nature, a vibrant source of spiritual inspiration for the Japanese, past, present and future.
Meet local Japanese women priests and pearl divers. Relax in hot springs and feast on traditional Japanese cuisine. Explore the Japanese countryside outside her bustling cities. Enjoy active hikes along quiet village paths while in the evening, you drift into a sound night’s sleep at a “ryokan”, a traditional Japanese inn with soft futons on which to lay your head.
- Hike from village-to-village along the ancient pilgrimage route of the Kumano Kodo resting at night in traditional inns
- Hike with one of the few female “yamabushi”, or mountain ascetic priests and learn about the preservation of Japan’s regional traditions
- Meet Ama pearl divers, Japanese women who free-dive for pearl oysters
- Experience the etiquette and tradition of a formal Japanese tea ceremony
- Relax in the evening in natural hot spring baths with a soothing glass of wine
What You'll See and Do
- Cooking Class
- Cultural Exploration
- Historical Sites
- Hot Springs
- Local Delicacies
- National Parks
- Tea Ceremony
- Wildlife Viewing
- Women-To-Women Exchanges