Visit the Nordic island nation of Vikings and Norse gods to explore Iceland’s amazing terrain by day then search by night for the hypnotic Aurora Borealis as they fill the dark skies with explosions of color and light!
Travel to Iceland with AdventureWomen for crisp winter nights watching the skies where, if atmospheric conditions are right, the Aurora Borealis will roar into view with a mesmerizing show: rippling ribbons of light radiate in neon green, red, and gold; the intensity of their displays will leave you awe-struck and makes for extraordinary night photography.
At the Reykjavík airport, meet your guide and the women who will be joining you for this unforgettable winter adventure, then over breakfast and hot drinks, get to know one another and discuss the exciting days ahead. You are also accompanied by an AdventureWomen Ambassador, committed to helping make your experience a fun and personally rewarding adventure, and cheering you on as you reach beyond your comfort zone to take on new challenges in your own unique way. Reykjavík is a hip city with an Old Europe feel. It’s highly walkable, so on your first day, stroll around to learn more about this charming small metropolis.
Winter’s shortened hours of light add an extra layer of mystique to your daytime ventures beginning with a visit to Snæfellsjökull National Park. See the mighty Snæfellsjökull glacier, learn about the roving female Viking, Gudridur Thorbjarnadottir, and enjoy a warming dip in a geothermal pool before heading into the night to look for the lights. Experience the spine-tingling rush of driving a snowmobile to the top of Langjökull glacier then walking under the glacier into man-made ice caves; when illuminated, the ice glows blue. Can a person see in total darkness? Walk the tunnels of a huge lava cave to find out! Winter chills are chased out the Icelandic way with a thermal soak at Deildartunguhver, the largest natural hot springs in Europe before another enchanting night in search of northern lights.
On the South Coast, look for the active Strokkur Geysir, erupting almost every ten minutes, and the mighty Gullfoss waterfall, then take a dip in the Secret Lagoon. The following day, you’ll learn about the 2010 Mount Eyjafjallajökull eruption…and learn how to say Eyjafjallajökull. It’s a mouthful but with practice, you’ll get it!
Enjoy a joyous dogsledding experience where, after some snuggles and photographs with the huskies, you’ll return to Reykjavík for an afternoon lounging in the steaming Sky Lagoon followed by a festive farewell dinner. Over dinner and the thermal soak, everyone can celebrate their incredible feats of daring, relive every eye-opening vista, and return home happy to know that sharing these amazing experiences with your fellow AdventureWomen travelers enriched every day of your journey.
- Day-by-Day Itinerary: Iceland, northern lights, glaciers, and ponies
- What’s Included in your women’s adventure trip to see the northern lights
- Accommodations during your Iceland adventure for women
- Travel Tips and Traveling to Reykjavik, Iceland
- Detailed Itinerary: February 12, 2022 Iceland vacation for women
- Detailed Itinerary: February 23, 2022 Iceland vacation for women
- Detailed Itinerary: March 6, 2022 Iceland vacation for women
- Enjoy nightly hunts for the Northern Lights spontaneously blazing across Iceland’s night sky
- Discover Iceland’s dazzling winter beauty by dogsled and snowmobile
- Explore glacier tunnels, geysers, waterfalls, lava caves, and meet iconic Icelandic horses
- Dip into steaming thermal pools and indulge in the excellent local cuisine
What You'll See and Do
- Historical Sites
- Hot Springs
- Local Delicacies
- National Parks
- Natural History
- Spa Element