In January or March 2020, spend seven amazing days enjoying active winter sports in the Canadian Rockies! Cross-country ski, snowshoe, bike and enjoy a high octane dogsledding experience in Alberta, Canada with other women who share your passion for the great outdoors!
This active winter adventure in Alberta, Canada in the frosty fresh air, audible quiet, and awesome majesty of the Canadian Rockies puts you squarely in touch with the revitalizing forces of nature. Experiencing winter in this very special destination in Canada is a high definition, whole-body experience!
Begin your week by jumping on a fat-tire bike and cruising groomed snow trails through snow-capped trees and fields of white. Women of all fitness levels will love this gorgeous bike ride, with miles of trail options to suit each cyclist’s abilities. Then hike on to Troll Falls, walking around a solid wall of toothy blue ice where water froze mid-air as it tumbled over the cliff. The next day, grab your sunglasses for a full day of cross-country skiing in Peter Lougheed Provincial Park. Take a one-hour cross-country skiing lesson then set out with professional guides on trails through the quiet, shaded forests and sun-soaked snowfields. Every skier will find trails that suits her pace, from gentle to challenging. This is also the habitat of elk, lynx, and wolves so make sure to watch for these beautiful creatures along your route. At day’s end, rejuvenate in a Nordic hydrotherapy spa treatment as you spring into a cold-plunge pool, then wrap yourself in a plush, pre-heated blanket in your own “winterized hammock” for an indescribable calming experience enveloping both body and mind.
Spend the next three nights far from town, relaxing by a fire in upcountry Canadian log-cabin comfort. You’ll also relish nightly bonfires under the stars, steaming hot drinks in hand, recounting every great moment you each experienced during the day with your Canadian Rockies companions. For your dogsledding adventure, button up and get ready to fly fast! First, you learn how to help your guides harness the sled dogs which are prancing and ready to run. Mush! Gee haw! Learn the musher’s commands, then with your musher companions bundle up on the sled and try guiding your dogsled team of huskies as they run along miles of snowy trails around Mount Nestor.
On a peaceful snowshoe trek across the Bow River Icefields in Banff National Park, watch for wildlife as your snowshoes crunch rhythmically in the snow. Then step off the snow and onto the ice! Whether you can land a double-lutz, or never stepped on ice before, the truly grande finale of your trip is 100% Canada: ice skating on glacier-fed Lake Louise, a tour de force of nature. Skate around sparkling ice sculptures such as a crenelated ice castle, Inuit totems, or towering ice wolves chasing a moon. On your final free afternoon in Banff, splurge on a dip in the Banff Hot Springs before the farewell dinner. Over hot drinks and an exquisite meal, it’s time to toast each other for the amazing things each of you tried and loved, and the Canadian Rockies experiences you’ll never forget.
- Day-by-Day Itinerary: Canadian Rockies Winter Sports Adventure
- What’s Included in your Winter Vacation in the Canadian Rockies
- Where You Stay in the Canadian Rockies
- Traveling to Calgary in Alberta, Canada
- What to Pack for your Canadian Adventure Vacation
- Detailed Itinerary JAN Departure: Canada Winter Sports Vacation for Women
- Detailed Itinerary MARCH Departure: Canada Winter Sports Vacation for Women
- Enjoy multi-sport winter fun from cross-country skiiing to dogsledding, fat tire biking to snowshoeing and ice skating
- Relax the way they do in Norway, with a cold pool plunge followed by the warm blankets of a cozy “hammock”
- Spot and photograph winter wildlife in the snows of Banff National Park and Peter Lougheed Provincial Park
- Warm up around a bonfire and swap stories with your fellow Adventure Women
What You'll See and Do
- Dog Sledding
- Glacier Exploration
- National Parks
- Natural History
- Spa Element