This is the perfect Sonoran Desert hiking vacation in Arizona, combining visits to historic Tombstone, AZ, the Kartchner Caverns, and hiking in Madera Canyon, the Chiricahua and Santa Rita Mountains and in the Coronado National Forest. You won't want to miss seeing the spectacularly blooming Arizona desert in the Spring!
A collage of color, the unique blend of climate and geology creates a fascinating Sonoran desert landscape dominated by the giant saguaro cactus. The plants and animals of the Sonoran desert that have evolved to survive here are among the most unusual and interesting species in the United States. And the birds of the Arizona desert are a delight for bird watchers!
In the company of our enthusiastic naturalist-guide, we enjoy hiking through southeast Arizona's desert canyons and along rushing streams, walk to the top of Wasson Peak for a breathtaking vista, visit the Arizona Sonoran Desert Museum and the Kartchner Caverns, and hike the contrasting and historic Chiricahua Mountains, former home of the Apache warrior, Geronimo. More hikes take us into Madera Canyon, where unique vegetation and nearly 200 species of birds here attract seasoned birders, those just discovering the fun of birdwatching and amateur botanists from as far away as Europe and Australia.
Our accommodations are a luxurious Arizona Resort and spa set in pristine natural surroundings high in the foothills above Tucson, AZ a delightful hotel in Tombstone, Arizona, a small historic town with an "'old west"' flavor, and a comfortable hotel in Tucson. Dining is a true southwestern cultural experience!
Join AdventureWomen for the best hiking in Arizona's "'wild, wild west"' and discover the beauty of blossoms, hummingbirds and sunsets of Arizona's unforgettable deserts and mountains.
- Hike in Arizona's Sonoran Desert, during its lush and magnificent spring bloom, with our knowledgeable and enthusiastic naturalist/guide.
- Visit the Sonoran Desert Museum, an outdoor living collection of some of the most unusual desert animal and plant species in the United States.
- Hike in Saguaro National Monument, home of the giant saguaro cactus, and in the Chiracahua High Country, historic home of the American Indian Apache warrior, Geronimo.
- Explore and hike Madera Canyon, a mecca for wildlife watchers and bird lovers, a cool retreat from the surrounding desert with beautiful views of the Santa Rita Mountains.
- Visit the historic town of Tombstone, AZ "The Town too Tough to Die" and site of the OK Corral shootout, perhaps the most renowned of Arizona's old mining camps.