The towering rock spires of the Dolomite Mountains in the Italian Alps are a sheer paradise for hikers. Reinhold Messner, one of the world’s greatest mountaineers, calls the Dolomites “the 8th wonder of the world.” In such a magnificent natural setting, the Italian Dolomites are deservedly designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Italy’s magnificent rooftop of enormous spires and pinnacles, this stunningly beautiful area of Italy's Alps looks more like a Gothic painter’s fantasy than a geologic upheaval of Triassic coral reefs—a chain of massifs that has tempted those with a love of mountains for centuries. In fact, the alpine passes of the Dolomites have been traversed by such travelers as Neolithic man, the Romans, and the mountain troops of World War I. The green dolomite rock (formed from magnesium limestone) was named after the 18th century French geologist, Diundonne Sylvain Guy Tancrede de Gratet de Dolomieu, who described the mineral in the margins of his bible while languishing in prison on his return from Napoleon’s Egyptian campaign.
Our hiking adventure in the Dolomites takes place in the picturesque region of Italy's Brenta Dolomites, which are separated from the main Dolomite groups by the Trento-Bolzano Valley. This area in northeastern Italy offers superb walking through protected wilderness parks to historic, cultural centers, and our invigorating Italian hikes take us on high mountain trails to discover alpine scenery similar to Austria and Switzerland. We look down on lush green valleys and fairy tale villages, and walk past clear mountain streams and cascading waterfalls. In fact, there are so many lakes and rivers in this part of the Dolomites that it is often called the "Finland of Italy." Our trekking is at altitudes that range from approximately 4,000 – 7,500 feet, across mountain passes and alpine meadows warmed by sun-kissed breezes from the south. Hiking routes range from moderate to high energy.
Warm Italian hospitality awaits us in our mountain hotel lodgings, where plump duvets warm us during the crisp, alpine nights. As with all AdventureWomen trips, we delight in Italian cooking and northern Italy’s mouth-watering cuisine, and the area's famous Italian wines.
For AdventureWomen's 30th anniversary, we are pleased to return to this spectacular area of the Italian Alps, to once again hike in the Brenta Dolomites. So join AdventureWomen for magnificent alpine hiking with our Italian-based guide, indulge in incredible Italian cuisine, and enjoy the challenge of hiking in a unique and exciting part of Europe!
- Hike in Europe's most thrilling and beautiful mountains, the Brenta Dolomites, a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- View wildly eroded and soaring limestone towers, flower-strewn high meadows, and marvelous, outlandish scenery on a sumptuous selection of day hikes.
- Feast on superb Italian cuisine and sample the region's famous wine, teroldego, the "prince" of Trentino wines.
- Learn about the amazing history and travelers of this area, from Neolithic man to the Romans to the mountain troops of World War I.
- Take gondolas and cable cars throughout your hikes, and stop at spectacularly sighted refugios for lunch and snacks.
- Share experiences and camaraderie with other AdventureWomen participants on this custom-designed, 30th anniversary trip!