Encompassing the tropical forests of the Western region of the Great Rift Valley in Africa; the savannah plains of Queen Elizabeth National Park, Uganda; and dramatic volcanic peaks and lush green forests; Uganda and Rwanda provide the backdrop for one of the best African wildlife safari adventures you will ever experience. From the Bwindi Impenetrable Forest in western Uganda, and from the Parc National des Volcans in Rwanda, we track some of the last remaining mountain gorillas that still live in their natural habitat. Few wildlife safari experiences in East Africa can compare with the thrill, and the privilege, of seeing the rare and endangered families of mountain gorillas in the lush, misty forests of both Uganda and Rwanda. Approaching these enormous yet gentle creatures on foot, and observing from only a few feet away as they feed and socialize, is a powerful one-of-a-kind wildlife viewing experience that redefines "unforgettable".
This unique African safari in Uganda and Rwanda also features chimpanzee viewing in Kibale Forest, Uganda, and the chance to explore one of Uganda's remarkable wildlife sanctuaries, Queen Elizabeth National Park. This park is a superb "big game" park which lies in the shadow of the Ruwenzori Mountains, named "Mountains of the Moon" by 2nd century Egyptian explorer, Ptolemy. View the vast herds of African elephants, buffalo, hippos, antelope, baboons, chimpanzees, and a dazzling variety of exotic East African birds. Take a boat trip on the Kazinga Channel and Lake Edward to view some of the largest concentrations of hippo in the world.
It was in Rwanda that Dian Fossey did her groundbreaking work on the highly endangered mountain gorillas and wrote her book Gorillas in the Mist, which ultimately led to the conservation of these gentle giants. As you trek through Volcanoes National Park and Rwanda's Virunga Mountains in search of one of the surviving mountain gorilla groups, you rediscover how precious life is and how important it is that these magnificent creatures remain protected in their natural habitat.
Stunning East Africa accommodations and fantastic African wildlife guides round out the safari trip of a lifetime, limited to only 15 participants.
Join AdventureWomen on our 30th anniversary - in Uganda and Rwanda in Africa. Come be part of this very special AdventureWomen African safari, and find out why AdventureWomen travelers are passionately (and hopelessly) obsessed with Africa.
- Visit the homes of the critically endangered Mountain Gorillas in both Uganda (Bwindi Impenetrable Forest) and Rwanda (Volcanoes National Park) with treks into the forests for once-in-a-lifetime viewings.
- View the chimpanzees in Kigali, Uganda.
- Enjoy spectacular scenery from every angle of our journey in 4X4 vehicles through the magnificent countryside of East Africa.
- View and photograph African wildlife on safari in Uganda's famous Queen Elizabeth National Park.
- Stay in luxury safari camps, lodges, and hotels in East Africa with private en suite facilities and modern amenities, including pampering by first-rate staff and fabulous meals.
- Learn about Rwanda's genocide and fascinating history, and see first-hand its remarkable and inspiring recovery.