Defining the “Best of Peru” as adventure tours go - is quite a challenge! There’s so much of Peru to experience: the ancient Incan ruins of Machu Picchu, remarkable collections of Spanish-colonial art and world-renown museums, unique and colorful traditional Peruvian clothing and Andean weaving, the extraordinary city of Cusco (Cuzco), Peru and its neighboring archeological sites, a ride on the famous Andean Explorer/Orient Express train, Koricancha (Temple of the Sun), and Lake Titicaca, the world’s highest lake. AdventureWomen has managed to put together a special “Best of Peru” tour that includes all of the above, and more!
This exclusive, custom-designed adventure tour in Peru’s Andes mountains is beyond anything we have ever offered in South America especially because of the many prominent Peruvian women contributing their perspectives as we learn about Peru’s culture, history, and archeology. Each of these successful women come from a very different ethnic, geographic, and socio-economic background and their special insights build our understanding of the Andean Peruvian and Inca cultures, past and present.
We'll explore Peru's capital city of Lima, learning from Silvia Stern about her impressive collection of Spanish colonial art and from Ulla Holmquist, head curator of the Larco Herrera Archaeological Museum. We travel to the glorious city of Cusco, high in Peru’s Andes Mountains, and the archeological sites surrounding it, plus spend a day in a Cuyuni native community, learning from proud villagers about their daily activities and ancestral traditions from pre-Inca times. We experience Urubamba’s Sacred Valley and the Nilda Canallaupa's native weaving project sponsored by National Geographic; then take a spectacular early morning train ride through the dramatic landscapes of Peru’s Andes Mountains with spectacular vistas to the most remarkable architectural site on the South American continent: Machu Picchu, The Hidden City of the Incas. Here we stay overnight at a luxury hotel in Aguas Calientes, conveniently located near the ruins, so we can explore to our hearts' content. Then we take the Orient Express to the world's highest lake, Lake Titicaca, and stay on Suasi Island at Casa Andina's Private Collection Lodge to take in the magnificence of the lake. Lake Titicaca will serve as a base for us from which we do outings that will be true "journeys of cultural discovery."
Don't miss this outstanding and unique, in-depth exploration of the culture, art, and archeology of Peru, one of the most beautiful and interesting lands in South America. Join us for the second year of this most popular adventure, “the BEST of Peru”.
- Experience Peru through the eyes of prominent Peruvian women.
- Ride by vistadome train to spectacular Machu Picchu, and spend 2 days at the "Lost City of the Incas."
- Travel back in time to visit a native community at Cuyuni, and learn from the villagers about ancestral traditions from pre-Inca times.
- Discover the culture and archaeology of Lima, Cuzco, and Urubamba’s Sacred Valley.
- Travel in luxury to magnificent Lake Titicaca on the Andean Explorer/Orient Express train and stay on a private island in the lake to experience “journeys of cultural discovery."
- Stay in luxury and boutique hotels throughout our journey.
- Share experiences and camaraderie with other AdventureWomen participants on this custom-designed trip.