The ancients dubbed the fertile land mass skirted by the Black Sea to the north, the sparkling Aegean Sea and the Mediterranean Sea to the west and south, and the stark Steppes of the Caucus Mountains to the east, Asia Minor. Today we call this historic destination straddling the continents of both Europe and Asia, Turkey, a land of fascinating cultures and contrasts.
We begin our exciting Turkish adventure in Istanbul, formerly known as the legendary and ancient city of Constantinople, imperial capitol of the Roman Empire. An endlessly intriguing metropolis, the city of Istanbul is a dazzling melting pot of ancient history and architecture, now combined in modern times with cutting-edge Turkish art galleries and hi-octane nightlife. Here we walk Istanbul’s timeless streets, visit Istanbul’s famous Blue Mosque, eat at exotic Turkish restaurants, and visit splendid relics, bazaars, soul-stirring mosques and Roman ruins.
From Istanbul, we take a short flight to central Turkey to explore Cappadoccia, home to some of the world’s strangest scenery and a cradle of early Christianity. Cappadoccia’s landscapes are dotted with spectacular valley gorges, beautiful Turkish vineyards, fairy castles, and rock-hewn dwellings, including some of the earliest churches that have interiors decorated with intricate frescoes. Surrealistic landscapes and volcanic chimneys, excavated for use as houses by early Christians, are everywhere we look.
Returning to Istanbul, we drive to the magnificent city of Ephesus, Turkey, once the commercial center of the ancient world and a pilgrimage destination today. Our Turkish vacation ends at a boutique beach hotel on the Bodrum Peninsula, where we sail, swim, and relax in the calming waters of the Aegean Sea.
This is an exciting and unique opportunity for you to explore the treasures of Istanbul and Turkey, past and present. Join AdventureWomen for a journey through this ancient and captivating land and its cultural heritage.
- Explore Istanbul—legendary Constantinople—the only city in the world that straddles two continents!
- Feast on superb Turkish cuisine, the heart and soul of eastern Mediterranean cooking.
- Discover Cappadoccia, where surrealistic landscapes, fairy tale castles, and rock-hewn dwellings were used by early Christians and now house hotels.
- Walk the streets of ancient Ephesus, the best preserved classical city in the Eastern Mediterranean, and feel what life was like 2000 years ago.
- Stay on the picture-perfect Bodrum Peninsula, sail on a Turkish boat to explore the coves, enjoy the enthusiastic nightlife, and relax on the beach.