Have Mexico's Drug Wars Affected La Paz, in Baja California Sur?
If you are worried about the safety of going on this trip, you NEED NOT BE. The February 17, 2012 issue of USA TODAY wrote a piece on safe places to travel in Mexico. Loreto and Cabo were mentioned as 2 of the 9 safe areas in the Mexican state of Baja California Sur. With La Paz located in the same Mexican state, right between Loreto and Cabo, there has been no problem in La Paz or southern Baja in general with drug violence.
There’s no better way to experience the beauty of Baja Mexico's Sea of Cortez than sea kayaking and snorkeling through the warm and gentle waters surrounding Espiritu Santo Island. And what better time to create a unique and magical escape than over Halloween?
A remarkably easy sport to learn, sea kayaking can be easily picked up by almost anyone and a kayaking vacation on the Sea of Cortez in Baja, Mexico provides the ideal environment in which to learn the kayaking skills to become a confident paddler. Sea kayaks are easier to paddle and steer than a canoe and are also more stable than canoes – especially for women with their lower centers of gravity.
We enjoy exploring the coves of Mexico’s Baja Peninsula and kayaking the Sea of Cortez, paddling into beautiful bays, bird watching, and snorkeling to a sea lion rookery. We hike the Baja Peninsula’s canyons adorned with hanging wild figs and enjoy bird watching for local seabirds. Knowledgeable local Mexican guides, a comfortable “safari-style” Baja beach camp, and fresh American and authentic Mexican recipes and cuisine make this Sea of Cortez sea kayaking trip a great antidote for your pre-winter, pre-holiday rush.
As a splendid finale, we return to La Paz, Mexico for an additional night to wander through La Paz gift shops, scoping for Mexican art while strolling along the waterfront area of this tranquil Mexican port (no Mexican drug cartels here!). For our farewell dinner, we culminate our Baja and Sea of Cortez women’s vacation with a traditional Mexican cooking class and delicious Mexican recipes you can take back home with you! And round-trip airfare from Los Angeles to La Paz, Mexico is all included!
- Go sea kayaking in the Sea of Cortez in Baja, Mexico, during October’s warm water and pristine weather. No sea kayaking experience is necessary. Just bring your adventurous spirit and a desire to have fun!
- Explore deserted beaches, go hiking on Espiritu Santo Island, and snorkel and swim with friendly sea lions.
- Join guided sea kayaking tours each day with expert naturalist-guides to outlying islands and along deserted cliffs and beaches.
- Celebrate Halloween with a beach party, complete with piñatas and margaritas. Bring your costumes!
- Includes round-trip airfare from Los Angeles, 2 nights hotel in La Paz, “catered” camping at a remote safari-style beach camp, plus a Mexican cooking class.