Remarkable Italian cuisine, exceptional Barolo, Nebbiolo and Barbaresco wines (among others!), and daily walking tours through the gorgeous vineyards and villages of northern Italy — all in the company of other fascinating and adventurous women. What could be better?
But wait! There’s more!
A truffle-sniffing dog, Italian castles and palaces, artisan-made local meats and cheeses, fascinating museums, hazelnut Italian desserts, fabulous frescoes and Italian art, shopping in fashion boutiques, visits to funky aperitivo bars, and drinking the “King of Wines”. This unique walking tour, at the height of autumn in Italy, gives you an insider’s experience of life in northwest Italy - its villages, wines and fine Italian cuisine - an 8-day immersion into the BEST of Italy!
Our walking and hiking adventure in Italy is based in the Langhe and Alta Langa region of Piemonte (a.k.a. Piedmont) in the northwest, one of the most beautiful places in the country. (Piemonte, in fact, recently became a candidate for a UNESCO World Heritage Site.) Our walks take us through the foothills of the Italian Alps (Piedmont means “at the foot of the mountains”) on a combination of paved back roads, meandering farm paths, and tractor trails. We enjoy stunning views of Mont Blanc and Mont Viso while following vineyard walkways, wandering from one Italian village to another. And there is something marvellous in each destination on our route: medieval Italian castles, fortresses, and enchanting stone hamlets.
Simply put: Piemonte is a wine- and food-lovers paradise. This is a place where some of the most famous wines of Italy — the powerful red Barolo, the elegant Barbaresco, and a multitude of fragrant crisp white wines — were named after their delightful hilltop towns and villages. Piemonte is considered to be Italy’s premium wine region and is often compared to the famous French wine region of Burgundy.
And, perhaps because of its abundance of fresh produce and talented artisan food producers, the Slow Food movement started in the Piemontese town of Bra, and then spread throughout Europe, North America, and elsewhere. We'll feast on artisan-made cheeses and meats, locally-grown fruits and vegetables, and savor the mouth-watering regional cuisine at family-run Italian restaurants (osterias) recognized for their commitment to sustainable farming and agriculture.
Join AdventureWomen for a delightful journey for walking, eating, drinking, and making merry in this spectacular and less-traveled region of mountains and hills in northwest Italy near the borders of France and Switzerland. Let this unique Italian walking tour, touching all five of our senses, captivate, surprise, and amaze you!
- Hike on world-renowned (yet un-crowded) Italian vineyard trails through beautiful landscapes and fortified towns in the foothills of the Italian Alps.
- Feast on fine Italian cuisine, fresh artisan food and produce in the birthplace of the Slow Food Movement.
- Taste some of the most famous wines in Italy: Barolo, Barbaresco, and fragrant crisp whites – named after their delightful hilltop towns and villages.
- Stay in charming hotels and country inns, havens of quiet and calm.
- Hunt for truffles with an Italian truffle-hunter and his dog!
- Enjoy camaraderie and share experiences with other AdventureWomen participants during this delightful, custom-designed Italy walking tour.